Jazz Pharmaceuticals Completes Acquisition of GW Pharmaceuticals plc
"We are excited to welcome our GW colleagues to Jazz as we mark a transformative milestone in creating an innovative, high-growth, global biopharma leader in neuroscience with a worldwide commercial and operational footprint," said
Compelling Strategic Rationale
- Adds third high-growth commercial franchise: Epidiolex® (cannabidiol) oral solution is a transformative treatment for childhood-onset epilepsy that provides a critical therapeutic option for refractory seizures. Launched in the
U.S.in 2018, Epidiolex exceeded $500 millionin annual net sales in 2020. With a recent launch in Europe(under the tradename Epidyolex®) and ongoing research in additional indications, the Company believes Epidiolex has near-term blockbuster potential.
- Diversifies pipeline to drive sustainable growth: The Company's robust pipeline now includes clinical-stage development programs addressing significant unmet patient needs across neuroscience and oncology, including in sleep, movement disorders, psychiatry, hematology and solid tumors.
- Shared culture and exceptional talent advances our goal to support patients: The global teams at Jazz and GW possess unique talents and expertise, as well as a shared commitment to, and proven success in, delivering differentiated therapies to support people with serious, often-overlooked diseases. GW, like Jazz, has a demonstrated history of honoring values that include integrity, collaboration, passion, innovation and the pursuit of excellence, and a culture where diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are a priority.
- Expected to deliver substantial shareholder value: This transaction is expected to provide accelerated double-digit top-line revenue growth and to be accretive in the first full calendar year of combined operations, and substantially accretive thereafter. Jazz's strong cash flow profile provides the capability to rapidly deleverage to a target net leverage of less than 3.5x by the end of 2022.
Chris Tovey, chief operating officer (COO) of GW since 2012, will join Jazz's executive management as executive vice president, chief operating officer, and managing director Europe& International, reporting to Dan Swisher, president. Mr. Toveybrings over 30 years of commercial and operations experience in the pharmaceutical industry and deep knowledge of GW's growing global cannabinoid business. In his role, Mr. Toveywill be responsible for commercialization activities outside North America, manufacturing and supply chain, and information systems and security.
- The Company plans to provide 2021 financial guidance for the combined Jazz/GW organization within the next 45 days.
- Under the terms of the agreement, holders of GW ADSs, which each represented 12 GW ordinary shares, will be entitled to receive
$220.00for each GW ADS, consisting of $200.00in cash and $20.00in Jazz ordinary shares. The number of Jazz ordinary shares received per GW ADS is 0.12036, based on the volume weighted average price of Jazz ordinary shares on Nasdaq for the 15 consecutive trading day period beginning on the 18th trading day immediately preceding the closing date of the transaction. Holders of GW ordinary shares that are not in ADS form will be entitled to receive the foregoing consideration divided by 12 per GW ordinary share.
Caution Concerning Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, statements related to
Actual results and the timing of events could differ materially from those anticipated in such forward- looking statements as a result of these risks and uncertainties, which include, without limitation, risks and uncertainties associated with: risks related to diverting the attention of
Vice President, Head, Investor Relations
Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Government Relations
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/jazz-pharmaceuticals-completes-acquisition-of-gw-pharmaceuticals-plc-301284512.html